Memorandum signed with Sankuru province in DRC
- Posted by: Anne Sweetmore
- Category: Africa, Democratic Republic Of The Congo, News
COLEACP has signed a Memorandum of Understanding and action plan with the Province of Sankuru in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, as part of its Fit For Market Programmes.
The aim is to contribute to capacity building of stakeholders in the province’s horticultural sector to improve the quality and quantity of production, and strengthen access to local, regional and international markets.
Priority areas of work, defined in phases, are:
- Identify actors and horticultural activities at the provincial level: improve understanding of the sector’s potential, and identify targets and themes to be addressed
- Strengthen the capacity of individuals: develop a capacity building programme, with priority given to training structures (universities and technical centres)
- Promote the origin and access to target markets: make the products produced in the province more widely known and promote them during national, regional and international events.
The first phase has already begun. Similar collaborative approaches will be proposed to other provinces in DRC in the coming months.