Africa Fairtrade Convention 2021 in Africa (Nairobi)
- Posted by: Sandra Borma
- Category: Angola, Burundi, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, News, Nigeria, Pacific, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe
The 7th Africa Fairtrade Convention (AFC) will be held virtually in Nairobi from 22–25 June 2021, focusing on “Producers leading the future of trade”. The event is organised by Fairtrade Africa. AFC is a gathering of producers, traders, partner organisations, Fairtrade movements, governments and policy makers – among other stakeholders – to discuss improvement of value chains, trade relations, and conditions that translate to improved livelihoods for farmers and workers in Africa.
While the General Assembly is a closed meeting, the workshops are open for external participants, who can register on the Africa Fairtrade Convention website.
COLEACP is taking part in a panel at the event on the new EU organic regulation – Morag Webb, the Association’s Head of Science and Policy, will discuss “Impact of new rules for the certification of organic grower groups in developing countries supplying the growing EU organic market” on Thursday 24 June 2021 from 14:00 to 15:30 (EAT) / 13:00 to 14:30 (CET). The session will be moderated by Jorge Conesa, Project Coordinator at the FairTrade Advocacy Office.
Meet the high-level panel:
- Elena Panichi, DG AGRI: Presentation of the new regulation
- Morag Webb, COLEACP: Aspects of the legislation that are likely to have more impact
- Escipión Joaquín Oliveira Gómez: Position of ACP countries
- Michel Reynaud, IFOAM: How can African farmers prepare for the changes?
The 7th AFC will be an opportunity for businesses to explore new opportunities and create brand exposure across the 99 countries that will be represented.
To join the event, register here.
More information about Fairtrade Africa.